Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I am a pixel Ghoul



What better word to describe me? I just launched my first art gallery showing this past week called "
Gravelights." at the Northbank gallery in Vancouver, WA. The project came about from a trip to New England to visit my wife's family in Vermont. We went to Salem, Mass first explore around and when I saw the main graveyards in town, some of the oldest in the United States, I got inspired to play around with long exposures and painting with flashlights and colored strobes.


So after I talked my very reluctant wife to sneak into the cemetery during the Witching Hour (12am-3am, hey, ya gotta do it right in Salem y'know!) I came up with some funky, way-out-of-my-typical-style of shooting stuff!
One of my inspirations was Professor Savage, my archeology professor at ASU. He did his work on symbology on tombstones especially in the 1600s to the early 1800s. The imagery on the tombstones went from a gothic, skull with raven wings look to more angelic, cherub like symbology that demonstrated the changing attitude of the afterlife during that period.
These were just the tombstones he worked on and it was pretty cool to be out there, and be the ones that go bump in the night!

But, of all the photos I did, the ghostly lights Jenn and I created for the photos, there was one photo I didn't generate the "Spectre." This one I was doing a long exposure as a group of tourist walked by on a candle-lit tour of Salem. The wall behind them was evenly lit and I got about 5 frames. But, this frame was the only one that had the white floating form in it! Don't know what it is, but its the real deal! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment