Thursday, January 28, 2010

Friday




Finally got some real sleep. Under the 40lbs of alpaca blankets, I almost never got up. Despite the time difference, I managed to get up at 5:30am to a misty morning. Martha, my host, made bread and jam with coffee.


I was off and running to the clinic.


Organized Chaos. If I wondered whether I would be twiddling my fingers waiting for something to shoot, I would be hard pressed to find another career choice. The clinic was packed with parents and children who, in some cases, travelled for days to get here to receive a small piece of miracle from the One Child at a Time team.

















The first surgery was a young girl named Elena who was born with fused fingers and really none of them formed past the first joint. She did have thumbs, however, and the team decided to un-fuse the first and second fingers so she could actually grasp things with it.

She might be able to now grasp food, perhaps hold a pen and draw as she manages to do here in this photo,
















and maybe, if she is a little bored one day–


twiddle.



No comments:

Post a Comment