Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday-the floods begin





I’ve been trying to wake early to catch the sunrise with these magnificent terraced mountains around us, but its been an act of futility, as each morning has been met with rain showers. Now, this IS the rainy season, so I shouldn’t be too surprised, but what is typically a sunny day, followed by afternoon clouds and evening drizzle, has become an onslaught of showers that threaten the entire region. Since the sky was closed this Sunday morning, I photographed the town plaza which included a 300 year old Catholic church.


At the clinic, two children from the Cuzco orphanage were late. The road to Cuzco was blocked by a landslide and threatened all travel to and from Coya. I got a taxi driver and drove to see the blockage, and the rain-swelled river that carves the Sacred Valley of the Inca. My driver, { } took me to the mud hut community his father and cousins live in in the hills f on the way to Pisaq to get a better view of the river, which was threatening to cut us off from the main route to Cuzco entirely.


A strong river flows down from the mountain into the main river cutting now in between his father’s home and a another. His young cousins were fascinated with my cameras and what I was shooting up their hill, offering me endless advice.



We took off to Pisaq and saw the water already nearly cresting the banks in town, already flooding many houses and businesses.


On the way back, we maneuvered around rockslides that swallowed the highway. In Calca, homes were being evacuated. I photographed two boys wading the dangerous river to retrieve home items. In the next day, that house would be gone.





No comments:

Post a Comment